Re: EMC problems

> OK, here we go, after all the support when I got up to check my mail this
> morning, I went back to the site with all the emails to start getting
things
> working properly.
>
> I was about 5 minutes into this when it all come to an abrupt end.
>
> The motherboard croaked it big time. Now I have to admit that my problems
> may have come about because of a collapsing motherboard, and not
linux/emc.

> Now I have a probably more important question. We first built an old
Pentium
> 90 system with 32Mb RAM, & 2.5Gb HDD.
>
> I now would like to know if Linux/EMC will run on a modern system, ie.
Duron,
> Athalon, Thunderbird(sorry, don't go in for Intel chips). The client has
> indicated that he will buy a new M/B, CPU, RAM, Video card combo if we can
be
> assured it will run on it. I only ask because I can't find any literature
> that says or implies that the current BDI install will run. And the client
is
> somewhat reserved about spending that sort of money should it not
function.

> So if someone has got a higher end system up and running, we would be very
> interested in your configuration.
>
> Special note:
> The client wishes to express his delight, and thanks everyone for there
input
> into this.
>
> Many thanks
>

> Fred

Fred,
If you are going to dedicate this machine then there is
no need to spend too much money on a new system, I put together
an AMD 450 system for EMC and it works great. Motherboard was
about $75.00 which included a CPU fan. CPU was bought off E-Bay
for $21.00. Case and power supply - $2.00 surplus special (it was
a 486 with video card, floppy, etc.) Hard drive I had laying around.
So, for about $100.00, EMC, and some time I got a great controller.

The big kicker here is to go to the RedHat website and do a search
for "hardware compatability" for version 6. If it is not listed (especially
video card) don't buy it. Check the motherboard chipset against the
list also. Might want to stay away from the motherboards with the built
in video unless you see it in the list. You have a good video card that
you can use, since it was working on the old system, so you can use
that.

Bill