From: John Sheahan <jrsheahan-at-optushome.com.au>
To: Multiple recipients of list <emc-at-nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:01:57 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: EMC problems

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:30:40PM -0500, Fred Zinsli wrote:
> >

> > Well I thought I finally had EMC running, but today it crashed big time,
> > after only 2 days.
> >
> > Problem 1:
> > The mouse pointer turns into a fussy square after you shutdown the
> system.
> > Not to bigger problem, but more of a nuisance.
>
> ?? new one on me.
>

> > Problem 2:
> > EMC now no longer loads at all.
> > What I did was edit the EMC.INI file, it didn't do what I wanted to do,
> so I
> > replaced it with the original, now when EMC starts, I get the splash
> screen,
> > and that is it
>
> usually the window you invoke it from has useful debug info
> in shell window
> cd /usr/local/emc
> ../emc.run
>
> and look at the messages. perhaps paste them into a mail
>

> does it do this over a system reboot?
> emc can leave interesting tasks runnibg when it does not shut down
> cleanly.  (note, rtlinux is different, I would NEVER recommend
> rebooting a normal linux box to fix something, its just not necessary)
>
> delete the lockfile /tmp/emc.lock
>
> emc.ini also uses emc.nml, emc.var emc.tbl
> you could also replace those on spec in case you managed to break them
> in some strange way...
>

> > EMC SIM runs, Generic has always locked up the system, and mini has never
> > started.
>
> for generic locking up, change the line
> PERIOD =                0.000016
> PERIOD =                0.000050
> unless your computer is as old as mine..
>
> john
>

> > I would like to hear if anyone has any ideas on this.
> >

> > Many thanks in advance
> >

> > Fred Zinsli

Disclaimer:
The content and attachment/s of this message have passed our virus scanning process. Whilst we believe this message to be safe, we encourage the use of your own preventative measures.

The information contained in this E-mail is CONFIDENTIAL and may be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, intended only for the recipient named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message and attachments in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message. You are also notified that the views expressed in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of the company.