Re: EMC problems

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:30:40PM -0500, Fred Zinsli wrote:

> Well I thought I finally had EMC running, but today it crashed big time,
> after only 2 days.
>
> Problem 1:
> The mouse pointer turns into a fussy square after you shutdown the system.
> Not to bigger problem, but more of a nuisance.

?? new one on me.

> Problem 2:
> EMC now no longer loads at all.
> What I did was edit the EMC.INI file, it didn't do what I wanted to do, so I
> replaced it with the original, now when EMC starts, I get the splash screen,
> and that is it

usually the window you invoke it from has useful debug info
in shell window
cd /usr/local/emc
./emc.run

and look at the messages. perhaps paste them into a mail

does it do this over a system reboot?
emc can leave interesting tasks runnibg when it does not shut down
cleanly.  (note, rtlinux is different, I would NEVER recommend
rebooting a normal linux box to fix something, its just not necessary)

delete the lockfile /tmp/emc.lock

emc.ini also uses emc.nml, emc.var emc.tbl
you could also replace those on spec in case you managed to break them
in some strange way...

> EMC SIM runs, Generic has always locked up the system, and mini has never
> started.

for generic locking up, change the line
PERIOD =                0.000016
PERIOD =                0.000050
unless your computer is as old as mine..

john