Re: IOSH and stuff

Ethan

There are a couple of pages on using iosh on

www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/part3/iosh1.html
www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/part3/iosh2.html

If you have a spare parallel port, iosh can be made to read in and change
pin values.  The script IO_Exercise.tcl does this using iosh.  If you
don't have a spare parallel port right now, you can demonstrate these
things by starting IO_Exercise by itself.  Move into the emc directory
where you have run the emc before, start a terminal and enter

tcl/scripts/IO_Exercise.tcl

Point both the input and output variables at the base address of your
parport.  You will need to enter the address and press set.  The radio
buttons on the bottom right correspond to each bit in the byte.  You can
turn on as many as you like and it will show the decimal value in the
value to set window.  Press set and you should see the parport respond by
turning on the bits.

There is also a sample Tcl/Tk PLC that Fred Proctor wrote to emulate the
bridgeportio stuff in C.  It uses iosh and a spare parport.  It is named
tkio and you can use it directly in place of bridgeportio in your ini
file.  It should give you a good idea of how to set up your own tool
changer PLC.

I also modified IO_Show.tcl to include a number of different labels for
the signals shown by it.  If you start it up along with the EMC and tkio
or bridgeportio, toggle through the labels until you get to the IO set.
Start up the spindle, some coolant and use a jumper or low ohm resistor to
pull down the external estop pin and you will see the result.

If you are using steppermod or freqmod with this experiment and you don't
have a spare parallel port, point the stepper setup at an empty address
and the IO at the real one.

Hope this helps.

Ray