Probing and motor control recommendations

Good morning,

I'm curious what others are using for probes.

For my Stewart Platform
"http://www.foxkid.net/cmm/platform/project-notebook.html", I'm using a
switch placed where the cutting tool would otherwise go.  It suffers from
various mechanical problems, as well as the inability to get any kind of
proportional measurement.

Photo:
http://www.foxkid.net/cgi-bin/next-res.pl?home_album=/Processed/Carl%27s%20Projects&basedir=./Processed/Carl%27s%20Projects/Stewart%20Platform/Truck%20Signs&res=svga&name=PA250761.JPG&album_name=Truck%20Signs

Sorry for the long URL -- it is made automatically by my photo album software.

I have not converted to using EMC for my motion control, but I'm looking
into it.  I am planning to build new motor drivers using the Allegro 3957
microstepping controller.  Does anyone have experience with this chip?  The
feature I like is that it is directly controlled with a binary current
value, rather then a step-and-direction interface.  Should I be looking at
other chips as well?  Are there particular issues or styles of interface
which are more compatible with EMC?

If this is the wrong place to bring these questions, I am most open to
being redirected somewhere more appropriate.

Thanks,

-- Carl

Carl Mikkelsen
cmm-at-alum.mit.edu