Re: Bdi801bin. update questions

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 04:32, George wrote:
> I am try to update Bdi version 2.04 with the three bdi801bins. After
> untaring and running the ./install command in root it tells me that.
>                  emc files will be owned by root
>                  leaving existing emc.ini alone-you may need to update
> for new variables
>                  leaving existing emc.nml alone
>                  leaving existing emc.var alone
>                  leaving existing emc.tbl alone
>                  leaving existing emc.run alone
> The problem that I am having is that clicking on the Emc icons in the
> folder that I untarred all the files to /usr/local/nist81 doesn't work.
> What needs to be done to correct this problem.
>                        George

George

The icons on the desktop will need to be pointed to the new run files in
/usr/local/nist81 or a new set of icons made.  The absolute simplest way
to do this is to click on the little home icon down in the left corner of
the panel next to the K icon.  When the file browser shows up navigate to
the /usr/local/nist81/emc directory.  Left click on the run file that you
want, drag it onto the desktop, and release the left button.  Select link
and you should be there.  You may have to change permissions.  You can do
this by right clicking on the new icon and selecting properties.  On the
second tab is a set of check boxes.

IMO - A more useful way to start the EMC is to make an icon that is a new
application.  You do this by moving the mouse pointer to an empty spot on
the desktop and right clicking.  Select new ->application and put the
"name".kdelnk that you want to see as the tag.  With this there are four
tabs.  Set the permissions that you want.  Use execute->browse to find the
run file in /usr/local/nist81/emc and click on it.  Click on the geer icon
and select one of the EMC icons that Paul provided.

On the bottom of that tab page is a "Run in Terminal" check box.  I tic
that so I can see error messages I might otherwise miss.  That's it.

You can also start the EMC the old fashioned way.  Browse to the
/usr/local/nist81/emc directory and key <control>t and it will start a
terminal there.  Enter the name of the file with a ./ preceeding it and
you will start that executable.  You can also start a terminal anywhere
and cd to the correct directory.  The terminal icon on the panel across
the bottom will start a terminal in your home directory.

HTH (hope this helps)