EMC Output resolution

I'm trying to find out the best way to configure the output resolution for
my system. Awhile ago I calculated that I needed 250,000 steps per
revolution and most agreed that this was not doable.

Someone suggested that I keep increasing the output resolution until the
computer crashed. Well, I got to the 250,000 that I wanted. This is just
with an unconnected parallel port though. Will it change when I plug
something in?

Am I doing this right?

I'm using steppermod on a 750P3 with 256meg ram.

Ethan