extreme axis compensation in software

Lets say hypothetically <bg> I had a way to absolutely
measure (to 0.000 05" == .001 mm) steps vs actual travelled
distance for each axis screw.

I understand EMC has an axis compensation table (actually
two- going in both directions).  I presume it is meant to
be calibrated every inch or so.  However, as the number of
calibrations per inch increase, I presume so does the
software overhead.

Q#1:
At what frequency-of-entry would the calculations become
too onerous for EMC (ie every 1/10 inch, 1/1000",
or even 1/10,000" )?

Observation:
Some machines have dual X axes (most decent routers), and some
very high end milling machines.  The two screws will obviously
differ in minor amounts, but certainly detectable in the
0.000 05" range <another bg> measured absolutely from one end
of the machine.

Q#2:
Would it be reasonable to have two X calibration tables (one
for the left X screw, one for the right X screw), and then have EMC
do a linear interpolation between the two depending on where the
tool is on the Y axis (ie at halfway across Y axis, there is
a 50% contribribution from each X axis calibration)?

Please ignore all other issues (such as backlash and temperature
concerns) for the sake of being focussed on the current topic.

Doug Fortune
http://www.cncKITS.com