stgII 8 axis, long and boring

Boy! I'm having fun here, the downside is I won't have anything to eat
soon if I keep this slow.

Please bear with me, I would have loved to just donwload the newest BDI
and stick it in, but snail mail here in Mexico is terrible, my phone
connection does not handle 500MB downloads very well besides that I
have other stuff in that machine that would not let me reinstal it.

to those looking for help, this is not it, sorry soon will be able to
help out.

finally was able to make stg_v2_8axis_mod to load successfully, now I
am having other error messages, I have a couple of questions that
sparkled from making it to work.

first, I had to edit the /usr/include/sys/io.h to include the
/usr/include/asm/io.h since a lot of functions/subroutines are
redefined there, so I stuffed it up with #if defined() statements
(didn't know any better, sorry).

I wonder how did anyone managed it to work, since it is dommed to fail,
unles the problem is corrected on a newer version of glibc. since I
tried the 2.2.14 kernel with rtlinux 2.2.

next, I had to edit the buildrcs script which has commented out all the
statements that acctually build the libraries, well accually I executed
the make commands manually in order to get the library to work.

also, the stg_v2_8axis_mod.o file, which is supposed to be the loadable
kernel module for stg model II on 8 axis, opposed to the 4 axis
stg2mod.o is built with the same object file as stg2mod.o, which is the
hw wrapper for a 4 axis card, so I had to copy the entry for stg8.o and
modify it so it creates an object file out of the stg2.c with -D8_AXIS
(or something) flag.

comments are wellcomed.

regards,
esv.

ps. when I try to run the emc.run script it tries to load the rtl
module again, it is because the line that checks whether it is loaded
or not is somethink like.....

    lsmod | grep -v rtl_ | grep rtl

 the problem is that lsmod also list (on the same line) the modules
that are using a particular module, since the rtl module is being used
by rtl_<any>, the output of the last command will be always empty,
although it is harmless to try to load an already loaded module, it
could be done using "cut" or "awk" to get only the module name and not
wich modules use it.

  lsmod | tail +2 | awk '{ print $1 }' | grep -v rtl_ | grep rtl

the "tail +2" is also optional since it will eliminate the header
output.

regards,
esv.