Re: Introduction and help need, ENC newbie,

> Hello Bruce,
>
> welcome to your EMC list.
> If you need help feel free to write my in private. I will gladly share
what I
> know. Others will give you a helpful hand too, I am sure. I found that Ray
is a
> ever helping soul-but this mailing list is a great collection of EMC
knowledge
> too. For really hard things like bugs or questions about the source code
ask
> Fred or Will. If you have questions about your own EMC setup include your
ini
> file-it makes debugging easier and ask on this mailing list.
>
> You will need a fairly recend computer. Your major first decision will be
> use servos or steppers. Steppers are cheaper-servos will require that you
get a
> STG2 card for around USD 850-or get some own hardware and write a driver.
>
> Your EMC computer should be an Intel/AMD, I recommend something > 300MHz,
> enough RAM ,64 or better 128 MB, an nice EIDE 4 GB or greater harddisk, a
cd
> recorder for backups and installation from CD( a simple CD drive is ok
> too ) and a monitor. And all the other small stuff like graphics card,
floppy
> drives, network or modem or isdn etc. A used computer will do fine. Do not
use
> SCSI as it will kick you in the back when installing BDI. Get the BDI cd.
BDI ==
> brain dead install, but you should already know that if you read the
linuxcnc
> handbook.
>
> Regards
> Max

Bruce,

If you are going to run servo's don't forget Jon Elson's parallel port
motion control, I think he said about $500.00 - $600.00 to get you going
and it is better to support one of the guys who has done so much for
EMC, and it's cheaper than a Servo To Go card.

see it at http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~jmelson/PPMC.html

Bill