Re: Motor controller recommendations?

John

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, John wrote:
> All,
> I am looking for recommendations for a motor controller.  I have a
> Sherline mill, stepper motors, and the coil driver circuits which I
> would like to connect to a newer Mac running OS X.

You must be curious about using the EMC, 'cause you sent this post to it.

<s>RMV ST400NT
<s>MicroKinetics MN400
<s> Does anyone know of similar controllers, especially ones which which
> come with a bit of example source or at least a published interface?

The EMC would be up to the task if you are up to the task of setting it up
and getting it going.  All of the source is available for it!

I'd personally buy a $350 PC and a $10 BDI and dedicate it to the machine.
Then use a network to talk to the Mac.  Linux has the stuff to talk to an
apple and treat it like an equal.

or

1 - find out if rtlinux is available for Mac - you may need dual boot
2 - find the compilers and libraries needed
3 - install the EMC
4 - figure out how to get the signals into and out of the box

Hope this helps