Introduction and help need, ENC newbie,

Hello,

I am 37 years old with a wife and three kids under 5, A CNC program Operator by trade and this is also my passion.
I have been very blessed in the fact that the two major components of my home shop i.e.. my lathe and CNC mill were bought for less than a song. The lathe is a Monarch 10EE in perfect working order, the Mill is a Lagun (Bridgeport style) that was factory rebuild and used by the shop I work for. Less than 20hrs was put on the mill before the controller starting acting up and they decided to let it go. Don't have much time to play in the shop anymore because of the yougins but tinker when I can. I have been working on a live steam locomotive for the past 7 years and make reproduction parts for antique phonographs I also make what I need around the shop. My wife doesn't understand why I spend 6 hours in the shop making a part that I could have bought at the hardware store for $3.00, I guess she will never understand.
Will that's a little about me, now for the help I need.

I've been thinking of using  EMC for some time now on my mill (Lagun mill with Anilam M controller) the controller has been going down hill and needs replacement. After reading the many WebPages on EMC and the postings to user groups I can tell I am going to need help with the actual hardware setup. Is there anyone out there willing to let me chew there ear about what wire goes where, what hardware can I use from my machine what new hardware do I need to buy........the list goes on and on and on.
I know absolutely nothing about computer programming and little about electronics. I do know what a resistor looks like, I think, LOL.
Well any help anyone can provide me will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Bruce Klawiter