Re: Installation hitch

Hello David,

Modelines:
I am no expert here, but I seems to me that xfree86 did not find any valid
modeline for your display. The result is that you can not start X.
Get your monitor's manual and enter them when asked for hync and vsync
frequencies.
And pick a resonable resolution for installation. 800x600 should be enough to
get you started. Later on you can always play with Xsetup, xf86config and xfcfg
and friends depending on whether you run 3.3.x or 4.x. Backup up a running
/etc/X11/XF86Config first.

Fontdirectories: As long
as there are at least some fonts, you can ignore these warnings.

> Smee again,
> I got the boot floppy made and started the install, the computer ran for a bit, muttered these few last words, the screen went blank, the CD ran on for a bit, then everything came to a screaming halt.....
> (__)svga: mode "1920*1200" needs hsync freq of 9.98KHz. Deleted   (there was a long list of messages like this with differing numbers)
> warning: the directory "/usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts/type1/" does not exist. Entry deleted from font path.
> warning: the directory "/usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts/speedo/" does not exist. Entry deleted from font path.
> warning: the directory "/usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts/100dpl/" does not exist. Entry deleted from font path.
> warning: the directory "/usr/sare/fonts/1300059-z/100dpl/" does not exist. Entry deleted from font path.
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This really should be /usr/share/fonts. Is that your typo are is that a
bug ?

> How might I overcome this situation?
At least for XFree86 4.x there is a log file in /var/log/ named XFree86.x.log,
this should give you the exact reason why X is failing.
And can you still switch to a different console with ALT-F2, ALT-F3 or
CTRL-ALT-F1, CTRL-ALT-F2 usw ?
Are the magic-sysrq keys still responsible ? Read
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt first. You might have to enable them
first.
If you can get to a different text console, what is ps -ax telling you ? X
still running or not ?

Regards
Max

--
Max Heise <max.heise-at-gmx.net>
Student Mechatronik/Automatisierungstechnik