Re: threading under EMC

> Hello Group,
>
> I had hopes of developing threading on a lathe.
> However, I will be using stepper motors and not servos.
>
> I did some testing on an Ahha system a few years ago
> and did make threads. They weren't the greatest though,
> sometimes the tool wouldn't track exactly. Gave up
> because their source code is proprietary.
>
> Any thoughts about steppers and threading, while we're
> on the subject.

Well, two thoughts come to mind: One is that whatever achieves
spindle/feed lockup had better profile accelartion within the known
limits of the steppers.

The other is that the necessary performance decreases a lot if one is
willing to run the lathe at the same kind of back gear speeds used for
manual threading.

Chris

--
Christopher C. Stratton, stratton-at-mdc.net
Instrument Maker, Horn Player & Engineer