Re: Threading under EMC

> Chris Stratton wrote:
>

> > I wasn't going to bother with an index pulse, since I don't think the
> > LS7266 (dro.c) code supports it very well. But it could be used as a
> > sanity check to see if the encoder is reliable.
>
> Speaking of sanity checks....one does want the spindle going the correct
> way.  Also, without the index pulse how do you get the single point to
> start the thread in the same place on successive passes?

Seems the program or operator would have to get the spindle going the
right way first.  There are lots of ways to shoot yourself in the foot
(or drill a hole in your fixture/table) with a CNC machine, why should
this be any different?

You don't need an index pulse if you keep tracking the spindle encoder
all the time.  EMC uses a 32 bit counter.  Even with a high count
encoder, it takes several hours (potentially days) to roll over.  We'd
simply have to zero the counter at the start of the part, or use an
encoder with a power of two cycles per revolution, which will wrap
cleanly.

Chris

--
Christopher C. Stratton, stratton-at-mdc.net
Instrument Maker, Horn Player & Engineer