No Parallel Port

Sorry if you've already seen this but I don't think I was subsribed correctly when I first posted this message.

I've just installed the BDI CD on my old NEC Pentium 90 and can't seem to find an lp device installed.  I've checked the /proc/devices,  /proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts and none have anything resembling an entry for the parallel port.

I removed my network adaptor and reinstalled thinking it could be an IRQ conflict but this hasn't helped. I did a bit of research on Linux parallel port issues and found a suggestion about disabling PNP OS support in the BIOS. I've tried this and this hasn't helped.

The port was working fine under Win98 just prior to the BDI install.

Any ideas on how I get Linux to spot the Port ?

thanks

Phil