home & limit switches

Hi all,
I have separate switches for positive and negative overtravel for each
axis; but no home switch. The overtravel switches are wired on the
amplifiers such that the current is only inhibited in the tripped
diraction but still allow motor current in the untripped direction. I
use linear quadrature encoders with one index signal generated when the
reference mark is traversed.
Is this additional signal able to replace a physical home switch, to
return each axis to a particular reference position?
    - If yes, how can I configure the .ini file to support homing in
this case?
    - If no, can I use the limit switches instead of home switches
without creating limit condition, because I can't add home switches?
      Is the precision still good; and how react the software limits
during this procedure?
Or can you see a third solution?

Thanks for help

   Nicolas Bonvin

--
Nicolas Bonvin

   http://eig.unige.ch/~itech/                 bonvin-at-eig.unige.ch

   I-Tech Genève (EIG)               	|   Tel   : (+41 22) 338 06 02
   case postale 8                    	|   Fax   : (+41 22) 338 05 77
   CH-1211 Genève - Switzerland      	|   Mobile: +4178 792 15 85