Re: Clarification on a few things

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray" <rehenry-at-up.net>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <emc-at-nist.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 1:47 AM
Subject: Re: Clarification on a few things

> David
>
> Welcome.  My comments are mixed in.
>
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, David wrote:
> >
> > Hello EMC users,
> > I intend installing EMC onto my computer and I wanted to clarify a few
> > things before I get started.

Ray, Paul and Ian,
Thankyou very much for your replies. After reading your reply Ray, I thought
I'd best have a closer look at my system,and on booting up I noticed 5.2
showed Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo) Kernel 2.2.14-12 on a i586, and
6.2 showed Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot) Kernel 2.2.14-12 on a i586. By
the way, the problem I mentioned with 6.2 is that when I type in the startx
command some text flashes past the screen and then the screen goes blank and
stays that way, the guy I had setting it up for me tried eveything he could
think of to remedy the situation, but to no avail. I've heard that 6.2 is
very sensitive regarding the type of video card used, but at this point
sorting that problem is very low on my priority list and this isn't really
the most siutable place to try.
 I find the concept of the Brain Dead Installation fairly appealing, but the
burning question is how does the stability and reliability of BDIEMC on 6.0
and 6.1 compare to that of EMC on Red Hat Linux 5.2 (which correct me if I'm
wrong, is regarded as the most trouble free release), I'm prepaired to go
through some pain to get the best possible system working.
I had a browse over the scriped instalation for the rt patch on 5.2 and
noticed something very important, it said if you try this script on a custom
install your system will not restart. Well, I have a custom install. I have
2 hard drives with three partitons running Win 95, 5.2 and 6.2. My main
reasons for running Win 95 was to network the EMC computer (which will be
dedicated purely to the workshop) with the computer in my office. I intend
drawing componants in Autocad 2000, generating the G-Code then sending the
code to the EMC computer via a network. I've been advised that sending data
from a windows computer to a seperate linux computer is very trickey indeed,
but sending data from a windows computer to another windows computer with
linux in another partition is much easier, and then shifting the data from
one partition to another is fairly easy, I would also like to use the EMC
computer as a backup for my main computer, and also to have for doing quick
drawings in the workshop. I allready have the hardware and cable for
networking and would much prefer to go that way rather than be using
floppies and CDs, so, is there still a way to acheive this?
Regards
David