Simple encoder to paraller port ?

Hello

I'm thinking ways to get some feedback easily from axis. Would it be
possible to put an optical encoder and special "disk" to axis. In the
disk there would be holes and every hole would give 1 and every "no
hole" would give 0. So it's similar method as found in computer mouses.

I'm thinking that it would be the easiest way to implement feedback.
Does EMC support this kind of thing ? What is the general idea of
feedback, where I should connect these digital 1/0 pulses or does it
require some other setup (an microcontroller or similar ?). Is it
possible to get feedback to work without special I/O cards, just using
paraller or serial ports ?

Regards,

Henry "Henkka" Palonen
h-at-_nospam_yty.net