Re: What services are NOT needed with EMC

Jailbait linux (jailbait.sourceforge.net) is a linux distro aimed at the
i-opener machines, (but you can boot it on other machines) that is
designed
to boot out of flash and not write back to the flash (all temporary
filesystems are in ram, to eliminate unnecessary flash writes).  They
fit
USB ethernet, sound, a reasonable complement of network facilities
(NFS, ftp, ssh, etc) along with X and netscape and VNCViewer in 16 mb of
flash, with
a bit left over.

If you really need the space, this might be a thing to look at as a
starting
point.  I've gone that route, and the extra money for flash/ram is tiny
when compared to the time it takes to customize/strip a distro to be
_really_ lean.

murph