RTLinux

Hi,

I've been trying for some time to get EMC working with a 2.2.x version of
linux on a 266MHz pentium machine with no luck so far. I almost got there
using a prepatched RTLinux-3.0 / linux-2.2.18 kernel but found that,
although the kernel ran OK and seemed to have RT functions installed, it
didn't have the necessary sub directories to link EMC to - no 'linux'
sub-directory and no separate 'rtlinux' directory. Having given up with the
kernel 2.2.18 / rtlinux-3.0 etc. as I don't seem to be able to understand
all the apparent variations and permutations of the available files enough
to get a working installation of EMC, I have been trying to get version
2.2.17
working with rtl-3.0. I thought that Paul Corner had this combination
working but apparently not and so he can't help me - although he has offered
good help in the past.
The system is based on Mandrake 7.2 but I have tried to build rtlinux using
virgin sources as there was something on the list a while back that said EMC
didn't like proprietary sources. So I installed Mandrake afresh, downloaded
rtlinux-3.0-pre10.tar.gz and linux-2.2.17.tar.gz and installed rtlinux-3.0
in /usr/src/ and linux-2.2.17 into /linux/ in the
/usr/src/rtlinux-3.0-pre10/ directory that it created. Patching went fine
and configuring the kernel seemed Ok and resulted in a bootable system
however, when I came to do the 'make' in the rtl directory following the
reboot, I hit problems. In the 'make xconfig' in /usr/src/rtlinux-3.0-pre10/
I just accepted the default settings and went on to do a 'make' but here I
got a load of errors at the end of most blocks as follows:-

Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for .modinfo

When I then tried to do the 'sh scripts/insrtl' , every file produced an
error -

modules/rtl.o: unresolved symbol xxxxxx_xxxx
for each of the 69 files.

Needless to say, none of the rtl tests will run.
Can anyone shed any light on what is going wrong please and perhaps suggest
a way to sort it? Thanks,

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright