best system?

I am having a difficult time getting emc running. I have a Debian system
and find it generally a good distribution to work with, except for getting
EMC running. I am considering loading a new linux distribution and rtl.
>From the view of a relative linux newbie with very little C experience what
is the easiest linux distribution to load, along with RTL and EMC? I need
something I can just load up and run, at least to the point of a working
sim.run
Thanks