rtlinux

Hi,

Has anyone else had a look at the latest rtlinux prepatched kernel on
fsmlabs site? It is based on the 2.2.18 kernel and rt 3.0 but seems to have
a changed format which makes using EMC with it somewhat difficult - at least
for someone with my mental incapability!

When untarred, a directory called 'rtlinux_kernel_2.2.18-rtl' is created
which contains a mess of other files and sub-directories but NOT a 'linux'
sub-directory or any 'rtl' sub directories. I made a symbolic link
/usr/src/linux to the new directory 'rtlinux_kernel_2.2.18-rtl' and ran
'make xconfig' etc. and the new kernel compiled without any errors. However,
when I now come to try to run EMC with it, I can't find anywhere to make
symbolic links to for the kernel version or the rtlinux directory!!

I haven't been able to check that the real-time part of the kernel is
working OK for similar reasons - there are no inbuilt tests that I can see
and I can't find how to re-configure the tests from an earlier kernel to
work with the new one. However, as there are several mentions of 'rt_' and
'rtl_' functions in the 'System.map' and no errors were reported, I assume
that it must be working (there doesn't seem to be any separate rt_xx modules
either.

If this is the way the 'next generation' of rtlinux kernels is to be
presented - presumably with the real-time functions completely integrated
into the kernel - is it going to be a problem for EMC and upgrading?

If anyone has any ideas how to get EMC working with this kernel I'd be
pleased to know as, being the first that I have got to compile without any
errors, I'm a bit loathe to ditch it ;o} !

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield  UK