From: Ray [rehenry-at-up.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 10:26 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: new release first problems

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Paul wrote:
<s>
> Getting some real good system crashes though, ranging from a total lockup
> instant reset. Running with freqmod and xemc, as soon as any move is
attempted,
> it crashes - Change to tkemc and it all appears to be stable.

Same kind of crashes here but with steppermod and tkemc on both of my pc's.
I've only had xemc lock up a time or two.  If it's going to do it, it is
most often  when I home out the axis.  Home all on my own gui does it the
most often.  And sometimes it will do it when I start a program.  The
interpreter begins dumping all of the look ahead that the rest of the
system can handle and it all locks up.  My guess now is that something in
the motion is overlapping with the x11 and killing keyboard and video.  I
wish that I could write a background routine that would shutdown and reboot
the pc if it didn't get a keyboard signal within a certain time -- or at
least restart the x system.

This report helps some because it says that the problem is not only with
Tcl/Tk which was my earlier thinking.

If we keep reporting crashes and where they occur and what was running when
it crashed, maybe we can find the problem.