Re: new release first problems

Hi Paul,

Yes, I think it was the Christmas mag. I have tried for quite some time to
get a stable version of RTlinux running on a 2.2.* kernel without success
using RT 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, Mandrake 7.0, 7.1 and now 7.2. The initial problems
may have been partly related to the machine I was using but that box has now
been relegated to windows duty and I'm working with a newly built machine.
Surprisingly, the current build of RTLinux appears to be working fine and I
got no compile errors at all - I used a fresh download of Linux 2.2.14.tgz
and rtlinux 2.2a. However, as I seem to be discovering, the distribution of
Mandrake seems to be lacking some necessary files. Having said that, there
also appear to be omissions from the EMC binary and such files as
Bridgeporttask and Minimilltask were not there after installation. I copied
these across from my 2.0.36 machine but perhaps they should be modified to
work on 2.2.14? Perhaps I too need to start again and fall back to Mandrake
7.

I still don't understand what the error message I was getting actually
means - 'undefined symbol Tk_Main' - why can't programmers make error
messages meaningful to Joe Public who is the one who will be reading them?
This message seems to indicate to me that there is a fault in the program
itself but, if some people have already got this distribution running OK
that doesn't make sense.

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright