Tcl/Tk translations

I contacted Clif Flynt about the translation business in tcl and will
quote his response.

-----Flynt reply-----
Hi,

Sounds like an interesting project.

My first thought for handling this is to use an associative array
to hold the text for buttons, etc.

set text(FRENCH.affirm) "oui"
set text(ENGLISH.affirm) "yes"
set text(GERMAN.affirm) "ja"

And build the buttons using the associative array values:

button $buttonName -text $text($language.affirm)

You might also scan the proceedings of the Tcl/Tk conference at:

http://www.usenix.org/events/bytopic/tcltk.html

In particular, look at Henry Spencer's paper

Simple Multilingual Support for Tcl
Henry Spencer, SP Systems
at:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/tcl97/technical.html

Note that since version 8.1, Tcl/Tk have supported 16 bit Unicode, for
languages like Russian, Korean, Japanese, etc.

 Clif
-----end of reply-----

The abstract for Spencer's paper is at

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/tcl97/spencer.html

>From that page you can get html, pdf, or postscript copies of the full
paper.

Let's share impressions here before we tackle any of the code.

Thanks.