5-axis machine controller

I am starting a project to add a 5-axis simultaneous servo control to an
existing  om-3 milling machine.   The milling machine has existing dc
servo motors with conventional
plus or minus ten volt dc servo amplifiers and tach generated velocity
feedback.  I plan
on using quadrature  output  encoders for position feedback.  I am
planning on doing this
control retrofit using the emc controller.   I have successfully
completed one control of a 3 axis milling machine complete with
automatic tool changer using a packaged pc-based control runnning under
dos.  This gives me a little background.  I would very much
appreciate any and all advice  from  anyone  on the nist  mailing list
concerning this
project

John Finnila
jsfinnila-at-juno.com.