Re: Can EMC be run accross two PC's

Woody, Tom, John

Uh, yea.  I put copies of some posts re this at;

file:/home/ray/handbook/part3/customizing/remoteg.html

I haven't tried a black box linux yet but I plan to show one off at NAMES
in three months.  NIST sees NML as a fully capable real time communication
system.  They say;

"To achieve efficient communication between distributed real-time
processes, it is desirable to both choose the best protocol for each
ommunication path and limit variation to improve software portability.
These divergent goals can be satisfied through the use of a uniform
pplication programming interface (API) that hides the details of specific
protocols from programmers. The Neutral Message Language (NML) is a
uniform API to communication functions that includes many popular
protocols: interprocess shared memory; interprocessor backplane global
memory; and Internet networking. NML implements a mailbox model for
ommunication, with both queued- and non-queued access, blocking- and
non-blocking reads and writes, and multiple readers and writers. NML
provides language bindings for both C++ and Java. The protocol
parameters are contained in configuration files that are read at run time, so
hat a system's allocation of processes to processors can be deferred as late
s desired and modified dynamically. NML handles mutual exclusion for
data integrity, and converts between native machine format and neutral
data encoding when necessary."

William P. Shackleford, Frederick M. Proctor, and John L. Michaloski
ABSTRACT
--

Now since most all of the EMC communicates using NML you should be able to
split up the task most any place.  So long as the NML channels exist

Perhaps we would like to share this task by selecting a common SBC and
some other hardware.  I've done some looking at pc104 but a pentium based
SBC seems like it would do the job at lower cost but without the hassle of
changing mother boards more often than some change socks.

Thanks for bringing this up.