Re: EMC and a robot

Bob Dring wrote:

> Has EMC ever been used to control a robot?
> I have an Asea/ABB IRB1000 with 6 axis
> I don't know if its controller is working at this stage because it won't be
> installed for another week or so.
> It looks like the robot uses servo motors, resolvers and brakes.
> I would expect that the axis brakes would be relatively easy to support in
> EMC but what about resolvers?.

Yes, much of it came out of robot motion control work (or at least work
on machines based on hinged arms rather than sliding ways).
To use resolvers, you need either a motion control board with
resolver interpolators (and software to support that board) or
separate resolver to quadrature interpolator-converters.  These
do exist, and would probably be the cheapest and most direct
solution.  Whose resolvers are on the axes?
(Possibly, the control has resolver interpolators that can be
separated from the rest of the control.)