From: Ian Wright <Ian-at-iw63.freeserve.co.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list <emc-at-nist.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: upgrade problems

> Hi,
>
> I've just been looking on sourceforge but couldn't understand how to get
at
> the cvs version - it has been a long hard day! A clue anyone please?
>
> Ian
> --
> Ian W. Wright
> Sheffield  UK
> www.iw63.freeserve.co.uk

# The Saga of Getting the EMC/RCSLIB CVS Code to Build and Run.
#
# At this point you should have installed Redhat 6.2 and
# patched a 2.2.14 virgin kernel with rtlinux_2_2a.
#
# some stats on system (P133/64mb and 3gb of scsi 2 drives)
# if you open this file in an editor, you can cut and paste the commands
# into a terminal window as required... or turn this into a script

[root-at-cnc src]# uname -a
Linux cnc 2.2.14-rtl2.2 #1 Fri Oct 20 21:02:22 PDT 2000 i586 unknown

# create directories for emc/rcslib project
[root-at-cnc src]# cd /usr/local
[root-at-cnc local]# mkdir nist
[root-at-cnc local]# cd nist

# grab a copy of all the cvs code - just hit 'enter' when asked for password
[root-at-cnc nist]# cvs -d:pserver:anonymous-at-cvs.EMC.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/EMC login
(Logging in to anonymous-at-cvs.EMC.sourceforge.net)
CVS password:
[root-at-cnc nist]# cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous-at-cvs.EMC.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/EMC co -P emc rcslib

#grab a copy of the latest src tar file (includes some items missing from the cvs tree)
[root-at-cnc nist]# mkdir temp
[root-at-cnc nist]# cd temp
[root-at-cnc temp]# ncftp download.sourceforge.net
ncftp / > cd pub/sourceforge/emc
ncftp ...nts/u3/sourceforge/emc > ls
ncftp ...nts/u3/sourceforge/emc > bin
ncftp ...nts/u3/sourceforge/emc > get emcsrc-11-Aug-2000.tar.gz
ncftp ...nts/u3/sourceforge/emc > close
Save? (yes/no) n
ncftp> exit

# now untar the file so we have access to the contents
[root-at-cnc temp]# tar -xzvf emcsrc-11-Aug-2000.tar.gz

# move correct install file into top directory
# the CVS install in the emc directory isnt complete
# note: rcslib must be built before emc so that librcs exists.
[root-at-cnc temp]# cd ..
[root-at-cnc nist]# cp /usr/local/nist/temp/install ./

# copy the missing skel.tgz we need to set directory structure
[root-at-cnc nist]# cp /usr/local/nist/temp/emc/scripts/linux_2_2_14/skel.tgz ./

# Build the EMC install directory tree from the skel template
tar xzvf skel.tgz

# to get a warm comfy feeling, lets see what has happened so far
[root-at-cnc nist]# ls
emc  install  rcslib  skel.tgz  temp

# now try the builds
# see comment below...[root-at-cnc nist]# ./install
# 14 minutes to failure
# I could not get rcslib to build. I kept getting the following msg:
#   In file included from rcsvers.cc:3:
#   rcs_defs.hh:295: dbg_mem.h: No such file or directory
# to fix this, I had to edit /usr/local/nist/rcslib/src/rcs_defs.hh line 294
# and comment out as shown below or delete the line
#  //#include "dbg_mem.h"            // DEBUG_MALLOC, DEBUG_FREE
#

[root-at-cnc nist]# ./install
# rcslib takes about 14 minutes to build on my P133
# emc takes about another 16 minutes to build, a few warnings in dcmotor2.c
# nothing fatal
# you need to answer y to the 2 questions asked.

# now try the demo
[root-at-cnc nist]# cd emc
[root-at-cnc emc]# ./rs274ngc_new_sim.run
# click on ESTOP/Estop Off, Estop OFF/ Machine on, Manual/Auto
# click on Open.../cds.ngc/Open
# click on View/Backplot
# finally... click on run and watch the gcode roll....

# the above process takes a little over 1/2 hour... It took me 2 weeks
# to figure how to due this and to get it all to work... To bad I can't
# bill by the hour :}

Lawrence Glaister VE7IT
lg-at-jfm.bc.ca