Re: emc really needs a copyleft cad/cam package

Anne Ogborn wrote:
> Matt - I'd invite you to consider whether it's premature to
> produce a block diagram for a program when it's not even clear
> we're all thinking about even vaguely the same program.

Maybe it is premature, but I don't know what else to do! The only things
that come to mind are:

1. Wish (feature) lists

2. Block diagrams

3. Sketches or actual mockups of user interfaces

4. Investigating possible languages and libraries

5. File format definitions

> The problem with doing so is  not only that it is a waste of time,
> but later, when we do understand those things, we have the ugly
> political problem of a position people have already made a commitment to.
> Can I discourage you from doing that just yet?

What should we do? I'll admit that my concept of CAD/CAM programs is
defined by those programs I have seen or used, and I just expect others
will have similar concepts (this may be an error). Should we decide to
clone an existing application and fix the things we perceive to be
deficiencies? I'm really an electronics technician/machinist by trade
who has written a couple of programs so I don't know how this is
supposed to go.

Matt