Re: [RE: emc really needs ] Design and Tcl/Tk

> Folks,
>
> Slow down please. I seeing several of you jumping way ahead to the "how"
> part of this. I fully understand the strong emotional appeal of doing
> so. I'm also very sure of the importance of resisting this temptation.
> Decisions, or even strong opinions about "how" formed too early in the
> design stage quickly become constraints that limit peoples thinking
> about the all important "what" issue. Please, please, lets wait on this.
>
> Jeff

Hear hear!

Yes, it's natural to want to see the project proceed with the tools with
which one is already familiar. I've never used Tcl/Tk, I naturally would
prefer to build something in Java or Visual C++ or something I AM familiar with,
but that's a really lousy basis for making design decisions, unless I'm the only
programmer on the project.

The other, less honorable reason for introducing these discussions now is
an understanding that those who are wanting to design in the usual design sequence
are at a disadvantage. If they refuse to enter the debate, they leave the
field to the person who posts the out of order message. Later it becomes difficult
to challenge the "decision".

I'm not a process freak, folks. I hate paperwork as much as the next person.
I've been burned by the "describe every 1 line method in 2 paragraphs of English"
mentality too. I am just seeing us go down the ugly path of unconscious decisions.

I'll add that I'm about to start a job in another city.
I'll probably largely be out of the loop for a couple weeks while
this happens.
I'll try to check in when possible.
But, if we're going to start with the wrangling over implementation
and leave the design to be filled in on the fly during coding,
sadly I'm outta this show. It's not that I'm angry or anything, it's
just that I've been bitten that way tooooo many times,
I don't want to be involved in a time consuming project I have no faith in.
For what it's worth, I turned down a job offer in the last couple weeks because
of this issue. At the interview I had two of the programmers interviewing me talk about
how disorganized the design process at that company was. I quietly went the other way.

I'm sorry that this project has opened on what seems to be a rancorous note, and
I'm feel like I'm driving it. But I have tremendous faith in what I'm saying.

Annie