EMC: comparison of RCS and OMAC/OSACA architectures

When looking at the EMC web pages, I see mentions to both the OMAC and
RCS architecturs. As far as I know, the RCS is based on Albus'
hierarchical architecture, while the OMAC works towards a less
hierarchical (``holonic'') structure, for example based on CORBA
components.

I have a couple of ``strategic'' questions, because I am preparing an
Open Source robot control software project, and would like to be as
compatible to EMC as possible :-)

1. Aren't these two architectures (RCS vs. OMAC) mutually incompatible?

2. What is the current (or desired) evolution of EMC in this respect?

3.  Is EMC working towards OMAC compliance or not?

4.  Is this OMAC compliance worth achieving in the first place, or not?

In fact, I am wondering what people think about what _the_ software
architecture for a modern machine tool (and robot!) control system
should be, and what lessons were learned from previous projects such
as RCS, OMAC, OSACA, ...

Herman

--
Herman.Bruyninckx-at-mech.kuleuven.ac.be (Ph.D.)    Fax: +32-(0)16-32 29 87
Dept. Mechanical Eng., Div. PMA, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium