Steppers or servos

Hi all,
I am curious to know whether steppers or servo motors are better suited to EMC. Perhaps someone knowledgable in this area could explain the pros and cons of each, I also have ready access to numerous smaller servo motors and was wondering if it's possible, and if so, how difficult it would be to wire several smaller motors in parallel driving a common leadscrew. Last but not least, can someone please tell me if EMC can easily run a fourth and fifth axis (rotary i.e. an indexing head) as well as xyz?
Thanks
David Preston