Re: EMC CNC recommendations

Hi John,

Slackware will not give you any problems on the realtime
patch/compile and no more than normal on the EMC install
the ZipSlack7 install covered at
http://www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/part1/software/zipslack.html
can be modified as a guide for the full Slackware7 distro
just ignore the stuff about the additional packages and bump the
realtime and EMC versions up to the current release

1)
I would recomend searching for the most stable distro you can find for
a machine controler but you already have it :-)
2)
get the one that matches the EMC current release
rtlinux2.2a prepatched (just to save a step)
3)
there is a Linux cad/cam package called CAM Expert from
http://www.ribbonsoft.com ($180)(15 day trial version available)
that will produce standard G-code (gerber,dxf and hpgl conversions)
its the big brother of QCad
http://www.qcad.org (free)

Brian