Re: questions concerning emc-0.9-25.src.tgz

Terry

Boy!  You have a nose for sniffing out makefiles and code!

Back in antiquity, sim ran only in nonrealtime.  Awhile back I seem to
remember some talk about making it possible for sim to run in
realtime.  It may be inisim is common code that migrated to this file
for the purpose of constructing that realtime module.  My guess is that
the module was never finished and that may be the reason it was omitted
from the makefile.

Even foggier in my memory is the notion that the writing of this module may
have been started in order to have something to "switch in" in place of
motors, encoders, and real axis motion so that folk running servos or
steppers with feedback could view what their machine would do with a part
program using backplot.

If all of this is way off the wall, you should go to:
	www.rayhenryhasoldtimersdisease.org  (a bogus link)
where you can vote to have him committed. ;-)

If my guess is about right, and now that we have the code on sourceforge,
perhaps we need to do two things.

1 - create two files called FIXMES an FINISHMES somewhere in the
sourceforge repository that document these kinds of files or code blocks.

2 - put FIXME and FINISHME comments in the code consistently where we are
working on stuff that is not working or incomplete but needs to be
available to other developers.

These files might provide some direction for future developer activity.

Ray

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Terry wrote:
> hello;
>
> i have several quesions concerning emc-0.9-25.
>
> after looking over a portion of the source code
> it is apparent that inisim is not suppose to be built.

<snip details>