RE: EMC with intelligent stepper controllers

Steve,

That I under stand,  and since the output of the RS274 interpreter is NOT
sent directly to the parallel port for step and direction control, I was
merely looking for where to start.  I have built the RS-274 interpreter in
standalone mode and have looked at the output of it.  There appears to be a
great deal that happens to the canonical commands before they are actually
converted to step and direction pulses or commands for the STG boards in
EMC.  I really don't want to get into an in depth study of the EMC source to
determine which module I need to replace with code to drive the SimpleStep
boards.  The idea of using intelligent controllers that do not rely on the
processing power of the host PC for stepper control appeals to me.  I have
looked at Flashcut which is an intelligent controller connected by a serial
cable to the host PC, but I really don't want to speed 3 times the cost of
my mill for their product.  The SimpleStep 2000 boards provide the
intelligence, drive the stepper motors, monitor limit and home switches all
independently from the host PC which really appeals to me.

John Guenther