Re: Real time? and OT power supply

 Hi all,

thanks for the info

first on the QNX stuff
from http://www.get.qnx.com/datasheet/index.html
"realtime performance
<snip>
With features like multitasking, threads, priority-driven preemptive
scheduling,
synchronization, and fast context switching (0.55 µsec on a Pentium III)"
<snip>

and http://www.get.qnx.com/faqs/devfaqs.html  has some info on porting Linux
apps ,mostly sales hype

it looks like a good system ,but its not fully open source so there would
be licensing issues to deal with to distribute an EMC port , not so good

the silent workstation idea is just a way to recycle an old 486SuX-33
as a network terminal  ,its fast enough for text editing and web browsing
with the QNX demo disk or a Linux equivalent but it will be in a room that I
want quiet so I've pulled the hard drive and the only fan is in the PS
its a Compaq with proprietary power connectors on the motherboard
so it would take some minor testing and surgery to swap supplies
the PS fan runs off the 12v rail and if disconnected the unit will not work
at all (normally this would be ok) the power requirements are minimal
with no hard drives to keep spinning and only a network card on an
'all in one' motherboard it would just have to run the floppy drive for
a few minutes at bootup and run from ram the rest of the time

for heatsinking the PS I was thinking to just add bigger sinks to any
component that already had one ,I do know better than to fiddle with these
things under power(I'm crazy but not THAT crazy) thanks for the warning
anyway,I always make sure to discharge the caps with a power resistor first

I've tried the same idea before using a 386 and an old Apple PSU but
it never made it thru the BIOS POST , a regulated bench supply did
work but the transformer humm was louder than a regular fan
I tried using a working AT supply with a dead fan as well but wouldn't
ya know it the fan came back to life as soon as I bought a new supply
to replace it
I guess I'll start looking for an old laptop and pull the hard drive out

thanks again
Brian