Stepper controllers?

Hi all,
 I'm currently wrecking photo copiers to get steppers to set up an RF 30 mill drill as a 3 axis unit with the option of going to a 4th and 5th at a later stage using an indexing head. I'm not sure if the steppers will be suitable or not but I'd like to get the project operational at least. What I need to know is what controllers are compatible with EMC and where I can get them. The steppers I have so far have feedback sensors (hall effect), I will be running a Pentium 100 with 40Mb of ram and Linux 5.2 and RTLinux 2.2. This is only a hobby and considering the current exchange rate with the A$ I don't wan't to spend any more money than necessary, so I will consider a kit which I can assemble myself or even instructions to do it myself.

Thanks
David Preston