Tkbackplot was Re: mbuff ??

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, "David Volosky" <djvolosky-at-voyager.net> wrote:
<snipped>

> BTW, are there any other updates for the Backplot GUI ? As I recall, the
> program edit function would bring up the NC program files up as read only. I
> had been working with these same files in Xedit with no problems.
> I like the layout of Backplot screen.

Uh! Yes!  This question gets to the heart of a problem that is rapidly
approaching the top of my todo list.  And I need some help here 'cause
this may have several folk wondering what I'm about with respect to
backplotting and related "gui" work.

1 - I have been able to integrate a version of the backplotter with tkemc.
This is public domain and shows the basic tool tip path for any run file.
This is a popup only and is accessed from the tkemc view menu.  This is
available for development work in the sourceforge repository.  All are
welcome to work on this.  My guess is that we need zoom and rotate.

This replaced the earlier tkbackplot that was a part of the EMC release.
That earlier version is still available from the dropbox at linuxcnc.org.

2 - I have not built in the revised math that Paul Corner so graciously
provided.  That hard drive crashed on bootup and I didn't back up
my midnight work.  His mods allowed for full 6 axis plotting and viewing
from any rotation.  I hang my head in shame.

3 - I have not run 3dplot that was recently included in the distribution.
Has anyone?  If yes would you be willing to compare both and we can make
a decision whether, tkbackplot,  that system, or another, is a better
platform for development of a killer backplotter?

4 - I have in my head that there are three or four spin offs of my backplot
work.

a- Upgrade the current tkemc backplotter.  Fred had mentioned some
work that might allow dry running a servo machine so that a backplot could
be seen on these kinds of systems as well as sim and steppers.

b- an EMC g-code trainer.
This version would show backplot, minimal machine information, a
search able help screen,  an edit-able program window, a scratch mdi
like window for testing blocks of code, and an error message window that
is linked to the help system.

This would be of immediate value to some us as we learn to write part
program code.

Schools might set up several of these in a lab and when the student was
finished, the instructor could switch that parallel port to a minimill or
hexapod to make the part.  Or download the g-code file to the mill.

As soon as cad/cam and Conversational program systems are available for
linux, these could be integrated with the plotter/trainer.

c- Alternatives to the current GUI's that would use input other than the
keyboard and mouse for machine operation.  My right side stack of buttons
in the backplotter was a first attempt in this direction.  The gui that I
showed at NAMES was a second effort.  This/these GUI's would be intended
for shop floor machine operation.  I imagine these written in Tcl/Tk or
Python/TK and sharing many processes with tkemc.

If we build a common library of tcl code between tkemc and these other
GUI's, they would not greatly increase the size of and EMC distribution
and would allow more flexibility in the application of the EMC to
machines.

I'd be pleased to make these public domain or GPL and place them on one of
the repositories if there is interest in developing these projects.