Re: new EMC distribution/site

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 04:53:54 -0400 (EDT), Ian Wright said:

> Hi,
>
>  I have problems.  I'm trying to set up EMC on a new computer and, whilst
>  things seem to be almost right, I am getting the errors in the emc1.png
>  screenshot attached when emc tries to start.
>  The computer is an old P100 on which I first installed RedHat6.2. Then I
>  installed the RealTimeKernel-2.2.14-rtl2.2.i386.rpm from the fsmlabs site
>  which seems to give a very easy rtlinux install. I then installed the Aug
>  11th 2_2 emc binary from the Sourceforge site (seems that is the only
>  version available there?). Again this seems an easy way to install. I got
>  the librcs problem which was mentioned in an earlier post and so copied
>  librcs into /usr/bin, I then had to copy generic.ini to emc.ini and thought
>  that would be it but, as you can see from the attached file, even though
>  there is a 'steppermod.o' in ../plat/rtlinux_2_2/lib (attachment 'emc2.png')
>  I get a host of errors referring to this when emc tries to start. Any ideas?
>  Thanks.
>
>  Ian
>  --
>  Ian W. Wright
>  Sheffield  UK

The rtl_, pthread_,  gethrtime symbols are part of rtl_time and rtl_sched
modules. shm_ symbols are part of mbuff
and the print* functions part of the normal linux kernel.

You could use lsmod to find out if rtl_time, rtl_sched, and mbuff modules were
properly installed.

If they are not and you can insmod them, do so.

 The junk at the end of the print* functions is the kernel version info.

It is added if the "Set Version Info on all symbols for modules" option is
selected (under loadable module support) during kernel configuration.

It should be added to the RT-Linux stuff by adding -DMODVERSIONS to the compile
line and emc stuff should also get the -DMODVERSIONS flag set consitantly. The
RT-Linux install script should read the .config file to set this automatically
and rtlinux_2_2.def should read rtl.mk to get this automatically.

If you got the binary version, I believe I compiled without it. So you may need
to either turn it off and recompile the kernel and rtlinux stuff without it.

To check to see they are all consitantly using or not using version info:

nm emc/plat/rtlinux_2_2/lib/steppermod.o | grep printk
nm /lib/modules/2.2.14-rtl2.2/misc/rtl_time.o | grep printk
grep MODVERSIONS /usr/src/linux/.config

-- Will

William Penn Shackleford III			shackle-at-nist.gov
National Institute of Standards & Technology	Tel:	(301) 975-4286
100 Bureau Drive Stop 8230			FAX:	(301) 990-9688
Gaithersburg MD  20899	USA
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/shackleford/
Office Location: Bldg. 220 Rm A253