Re: EMC - a practical implementation?

John,

You are absolutely correct.  And you have just pointed out one of the deep
pitfalls of "shareware" software maintenance.  In the case of LINUX, the
author went out of his way to serve the community for which the software
was designed, and the end result exceeded all expectations.  I do not see
that same level of commitment here, and as you well know the average fellow
isn't about to "successfully compile several kernel versions and three
versions of EMC".

Get real.  How many people do you suppose have the same willingness to put
that enormous amount of side effort into their hobby, which is making
projects in metal?

This does not appear to be a stable operating environment if you have to:
1.	Either be a software professional, or
2.	Must be  willing to learn how to be a LINUX guru in order to make the
software do anything . . . .

And you are a tool shop owner, so you must have had the idea of using EMC
software in SOME commercial manner either as a way of reducing your costs
or as a method of machine salvage or both.

Do you believe that any other tool shop owner similarly situated would have
the time or inclination to do what you have done?  I value my time
considerably higher than 90 days worth of this kind of effort.  No wonder
here why you're broke, you like to compile test and debug other people's
software for free.

StevieB