Progress at last!!!!!!

I took out the $#$^&^& amp boards again, because it just wasn't adding up.  I
compared the one that did with the two that didn't work.  The one that did
work was visibly different, in that it had different components (almost like
it was an earlier version).  As a last resort, I scraped off some of the
"loctite" that was over a couple of the pot's and what a surprise, they were
set differently!  Threw the ohm meter on there and sure enough.  I reset the
pot's on one of the boards and stuck it back in the machine.  What a
surprise, it worked!  (Not perfectly, but a lot closer than it has been yet.)
 I have no idea why the pot's were "loctited" - whether they came from
ServoDynamics or Centurion or Milltronics like that, I don't know.  I'd be
interested to know if Matt's was like that - I think it's a similar
amplifier.  I may have to break down and go into the shop tomorrow, to play
with it.  (Lucky for me, there's a couple of Brits who work there - it's a
sure thing they'll be there tomorrow!)