Kulago/Mauch DRO ISA quadrature feedback kit

Tim Goldstein wrote:

> > Stepper Motors:
> > If I install steppers, then I can buy Dan Mauch's
> > 4 axis board, which feed backs to EMC  (but how,
> > is it an ISA board like Kaluga's http://www.mcs.net/~kulaga/dro.html
> > and does EMC recognize it?).
>
> Dan's stepper controller (or anyone else's for that matter) is not what
> provides the feedback to EMC. That is done through a DRO card.

Yes, the 4 axis DRO card was what I was talking about.

> EMC has a motion control module that is designed to work
> with the board designed by Tom Kulaga. Dan offers a PCB and kit of the Tom Kulaga DRO
> card that is
> about the same cost as you would pay to just buy the components to do it
> with wire wrap and it goes together far faster.

Dan has since emailed that confirmation.   Looks like the way to go.
The  LS7266R1  has  24 bit counters, so using a 0.1 um scale  I'm assuming
you'd  get (2**24 == 16777216  * .1e-6 = 1.67m)  ~ 66 inch travel.

Another question:
The stepper controller brick posted here a few days ago by
 http://www.geckodrive.com  has a 200 KHz maximum step rate.

What maximum typical step rate can EMC produce on a
200 MHz (or 500Mz) Pentium?

Doug Fortune