Re: dual processor for dual cnc machines

Doug Fortune wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has tried to
> run a dual processor Linux machine to
> run two cnc machines simultaneously.
>
> The computer in question is an ancient dual PII-333.

I think the problem here is that you run out of I/O faster
than CPU power.  A SINGLE P-II at 333 MHz would
have no problem running two (or more) servo systems.
My current servo system has a Servo-to-Go card and
uses one parallel port for auxilliary I/O.  I am using a
100 MHz Pentium classic, and it runs the servo loops
at 1 KHz update rate, and the user interface response
is very rapid.  I often run other programs at the same
time, looking at the next program to run, editing, etc.

The stepper systems need TWO parallel ports for ONE
machine.