Re: Mandrake 7.0 problem

Ian

I finally gave up and downloaded the prepatched rtlinux-2.0.  The version
.13 doesn't seem to affect the operation of Mandrake and it gives a more
straight forward path for EMc.

The make xconfig is very confusing.  There are lots of options there.  I
recommend that you untar the kernel ball that is placed in /usr/src right
there and make oldconfig like you intended to compile it.  You can just
accept (enter) each of the options presented and you will come close to a
good config file for the system you have running.  Then make a copy of the
.config file in that linux??? directory or bring it up in a window beside
the make xconfig that you run in the rt**/linux directory.  And try to make
the new the same as the old.

I did find that you have to link the */rtlinux-2.0/linux directory to
/usr/src/linux before you can successfully make bzImage.  If you don't make
this link first you will wind up with an error about errno.h being lost.

My zImage was to big so I had to make bzImage and it went fine.  Copy that
and the System.map file to /boot as *.*RTL20 and make a new link to
System.MapRTL20 from System.map.

Then make modules and make modules_install while still in the rt**/linux
directory.

Fix lilo.config so that you have the rt boot option. Run /sbin/lilo and
reboot into the rtlinux kernel.

Now cd into /usr/src/rtlinux-2.0/rtl (on my machine) and make modules and
make modules_install.  Now you have the realtime system going and can try
the examples.

Will says that he has some trouble with the newer compiler that is shipped
with mandrake.  You can get the release of your compiler by entering gcc -v
in a terminal window.  If you also have the newer release *.95 then you
will have problems with emc install.  It only really fails on the emcsh.
All the rest of emc seems to run.

What I did to get around the emcsh problem was copy one from 2.0.36.  It's
in the /usr/local/nist/emc/plat/linux_2_0_36/bin directory and should be
copied to the same place in the new release.  That's where I found the
problem with libtclx.so that I mentioned in the other post.

Good Luck.  If you get part way and it dies let me know, 'cause maybe I can
help now.

How's your family?

Ray