Re: Colored pins for EMC map-- reply with city, state, country

  Hello emc friends,

 Well I finally got my machine to cut metal last
night. I have been watching all of you, and working
with linux/emc for about 6 months. Thanks for all your
questions and answers. This list is great!

 I have been working on building my own machine. I
started 2 years ago with $1000. Well I spent all that
and then some, but not to much more and came out with
a servo controlled cnc minimill. It travels 9.5-x 6-y
and 7-z. I used the step direction output on linux to
drive jr-kerr pic servos, and I am very happy with the
outcome. Its rapid is 190 ipm and has about 60 lbs of
thrust in each axis. I have slowed machine down
temporarily because I dont have a counterbalance setup
on the z axis yet, so it is very heavy. The encoders
are 660 line units and the screws are .125 lead, so
resolution is about .000047 inches. Repeatability is
not nearly as good and comes in around .0003 because
the servos need a few counts each way of zero, if I
try to eliminate this I get an overshoot condition,
but I am still working on this.

    I am still using linux 5.2, and a version of emc
from march. The computer is a 233mhz pent. The gui
updates are a bit slow, and I have found that this
really prevents the machine operator from stopping the
machine with the computer, so a stop button tied into
the servo controllers stop them and lets the computer
go. What is nice about this feature is that if the
servos get stopped for any reason, I can tell the emc
to go to a clear point, then push a button on the
servo controller and the servos get re-enabled, and
the machine moves back in synch with emc
automatically.

   Any how my location is Paradise Ca. and I hope to
do circuit board construction and other engraving
tasks with the machine when I get it tuned up a bit
better.

  Thanks for the work on this program.

    Andrew Abken
    Machinist