EMC porting

Hi all,
I've been listening this list for a while, and it is great.
Now it is time to place my first two questions.

1) I am currently producing two servo boards. I have personally wrote the
complete machine software under DOS, and now under WNT(RT). My intention is
to port my own code, or EMC to work under Linux with these boards
(whichever is easier and quicker).
Can you estimate the effort required to make EMC work with a different board?
Anyone interested in participating? I believe that the lowesr level
register access routine will be quick to port, but I don't know how these
could fit with the higher levels.

2) It happen that I have bought last year the Zentropix RTLinux
installation disk version 1.0. Is this a good start for my tests or it is
better to download something newer? That CD is based on RH5.2 with
prepatched kernel (2.0.x I guess).

Thank you for your time.
Mau.

  Maurizio Ferraris  ferring-at-inrete.it
  Studio Ferraris    http://pages.inrete.it/ferring
  Via Borgonuovo 27, 10040 GIVOLETTO (TO) - ITALY