Re: new EMC release / rtlinux-2.2 problem

Ian Wright wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Madrake 7 which was my starting point, is already
> based on the 2.2.14 kernel. To go to RTLinux, I downloaded the
> rtlinux-2.2-prepatched.tar.gz file into my /usr/src directory and unzipped
> it with gzip -cd rtlinux-2.2-prepatched.tar.gz | tar xvf - . This created a
> new directory called rtlinux-2.2 within /usr/src. In this directory there
> are sub-directories called /linux and /include but there does not seem to be
> one called /include/linux as the third of your ls -ld commands seems to
> require.
> As I said before, looking at the /usr/src/linux directory using kfile, I can
> see a link called 'linux' which, if I click on it, shows me the contents of
> the /usr/src/rtlinux-2.2 directory but this link doesn't show up when I use
> the second of your ls -ld commands - ls -ld /usr/src/linux. Should this link
> file (linux) actually be in the /usr/src directory itself rather than in a
> /linux sub-directory within /usr/src?
>
> I also tried the 2.2a prepatched kernel in case it was a bad download but I
> got exactly the same errors.
> Thanks,
>
> Ian
>
> --
> Ian W. Wright
> Sheffield  UK

Ian

I had that same problem with RH 6.0. I never finished installing it all
because I needed to use the machine so I put the old drive (containing
the old version) back in for now. Anyawy after Will mentioned that the
problem was only not finding files I deleted the linux link in the
usr/src
directory and made the directory structure from the rtlinux-2.2
directory
look just like the one from the RH 6.0 installation. That solved the
problem.
I can't tell you what the structure should be because I took the drive
out
for now, but the problem is all in the way the directories are set up.
It seems
that when you untar the file it sets them up differently than they
should be.
I realize this isn't much help, but hang in there you are closer than
you think.
I will have another go at it in a week or so.

Thanks Will for the tip on the links

Bill