Home brew servo board

What is the current status of the home brew servo board?
I just had a thought for an add on for running steppers from EMC.
If you use the servo board to feed +/- 10 volts to a Voltage Controled
Oscilator and drive the stepper driver with the output of the VCO that would
give you a smooth step signal. You could then either use an encoder for feed
back to EMC or for an open loop system just feed the VCO output back to EMC.
Now all you have to do is "tune" the PID for your steppers. What I haven't
figured out yet is if a VCO will accept the -10V for input or if you would
have to convert the signal some way.
Darrell